Tuesday, January 22, 2013

DIY Dry Shampoo


By Danielle at Hookable Designs

Dry shampoo. Have you tried it? Its what you use when you need to wash your hair yet don't have time to take a shower. I think everyone has encountered this dilemma once or twice.

Today, I'm going to teach you my rendition with 3 simple ingredients you should already have. If you don't, then they can be found in any grocery store.

This recipe came to my mind a couple days ago when I realized my hair needed a spruce up, yet I didn't have the time for an actual hair washing. It felt like a AHA! moment, as a little lightbulb turned on in my head. 

I have to say that this Dry Shampoo isn't dry at all. But like the name says, it's a spray. I kept the dry part in because its a familiar name/product and it gives the same results.


What you need:
1 tbsp of cornstarch
4 tbsp of water
1 tbsp of rubbing alcohol ( I used ethyl, found it at Walgreens) 
small measuring glass, cup, bowl...whatever.
a small spray bottle (shown in first picture)

Mix it all together, pour it into your spray bottle and shake it up!

To Use:
Spray in on your scalp, in your hair and anywhere the your hair needs to be de-greased. You do not need to drench your scalp, just dampen it up. 

Side note: cover or close your eyes, alcohol in eyes is not fun.Also, if you don't like to the use of alcohol in your hair products( i.e. hairspray) then this DIY might not be for you.

Run a comb or your fingers through your hair to distribute it evenly.

Let it air dry or quickly blast your scalp with a hair dryer, which is my favorite method. We are going for speed here. 

Repeat if necessary.

 All done. Rejoice! you can go another day without washing your hair, and no one will notice.

Why it works,
Both alcohol and cornstarch are de-greasers. Cornstarch does not dissolve fast so you will notice that after the water has evaporated the cornstarch will still remain. Pretty neat, huh!

I hope you like this. Let me know how this worked out for you. 

After-thought: I only recommend using this at max once a week. You know, for the day you really should've taken a shower but didn't. We've all been there.

Submitted By Amanda J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment